The Ouray Ice Park is a free public resource. Help us keep it that way by following these common sense rules.
Please respect this amazing resource and your fellow Park users!
- Crampons and a helmet are required for all persons in “Climber Only” areas.
- You must clearly occupy a top anchor prior to climbing any route in the Ouray Ice Park.
- No rope and/or anchor shall remain established for more than 3 hours.
- Do not anchor to any man made structure without a clearly labeled anchor tag or yellow wand.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times and not left unattended.
- Absolutely no dogs allowed below the top of the gorge.
- Please read all “Area Specific Rules” prior to entering a given area.
- Be courteous and respect your fellow climbers.
- Per Section 13-7-K of Chapter 13 of the Code of the City of Ouray, Colorado: “It shall be unlawful for any person to commit the following acts within the Ice Park:
a) To enter the Uncompahgre Gorge or be climbing without wearing crampons and a helmet or be in an area designated as “climber only” without wearing crampons.
b) For an individual under the age of 18 to enter the Park without a supervising adult.
c) For any owner or custodian of any animal to fail to have the animal under effective and immediate control of the owner or custodian by leash, cord, chain or other restraining device at all times that such animal is within the Ice Park. No animals, except service animals, are permitted at the bottom of the Uncompahgre Gorge.
d) To attach climbing anchors to any manmade structures within the Park, except for established fixed anchors such as chain and bolt anchors. Anchors may not be placed on or impede with the ice producing system.
e) For any unauthorized individual to enter or remain within the Ice Park after 5 p.m. or before 7:30 a.m. from December 1st through March 31st for the purposes of climbing.
f) To leave top-line ropes unattended or unused.
g) For non-commercial groups of eight or more persons to occupy more than two climbing routes, as designated, in a specific area, or occupy any one route for more than three hours.
h) To conduct any commercial activities or uses within the Ice Park are subject to Section 13-22 of the Ouray City Code without permission from the City.”