March 6, 2014
In spite of short cool periods following the small snow storms we’ve been having, the North end of the Park has taken quite a beating during the past week or so. Everyday we have needed to close more individual routes on the North end. Yesterday we witnessed several natural collapses in areas we already had closed.
We decided last night to close the North end from the Lower Bridge north, or downstream toward town. All areas downstream of the Lower Bridge are closed for the season. This includes all travel below the canyon rim. Please do not enter closed areas for any reason. If you have questions about closures please feel free to email email@example.com.
The South end continues to have plenty of high quality climbing. We expect to see localized closures on the South end over the next couple weeks. These will be areas receiving more direct UV radiation.
Water levels in the canyon have been rising most afternoons. Please maintain a high level of awareness during all times while climbing in the Park.
It’s not too late to become and Individual Member or the Ouray Ice Park. This amazing resource is FREE to enjoy…but not to operate. The Ouray Ice Park is 100% donor funded. Become a Member today!
Back-country Ice Conditions
For the latest on back-country ice conditions around Ouray, check out this link from San Juan Mountain Guides: Back-country Ice
For regular updates on conditions at the Ouray Ice Park follow us on Twitter…